4 April 2015

Make Up Tips I'd Give To My 13 Year Old Self

I've been wearing make up since I was 13, but only over the last couple of years have I learned to apply my make up properly. I'm 18 now and I believe that I can actually do my make up way better than I could a few years ago, so I thought I'd give my 13 year old self some make up tips.


Use the correct foundation shade
When I look back to the foundation I used to wear, I remember it being at least 2 shades darker than my neck. That is not okay! Match your foundation to the colour of your neck or the inside of your arm for an even colour and a match between the colour of your neck and the colour of your face to avoid looking like an orange lolly-pop.

Get rid of that line!
I remember always forgetting to blend my foundation between my face and my neck so I always ended up with a horrible line that was completely visible. GET RID OF IT. Blend it with a buffing brush so it looks natural and blends in with the colour of your neck, and you'll end up with a smooth looking foundation instead of a choppy embarrassing line.

BLEND!
Blending your eye shadow is a MUST. Blend, blend, blend that eye shadow until your hand starts to ache to avoid a choppy unblended mess that looks...well, messy. Blending makes your eye shadow look smoother and flawless, and it blends in with the other colours you use on your eyes. Don't forget to BLEND!

Don't forget to contour!
The light hits your face at different angles throughout the day, so your face is never one colour. If you don't contour, you end up looking washed out. Contouring gives your face dimension. Make sure you contour the cheeks from the top of your mouth to the corner of your mouth (but not all the way, because that's way too intense), contour the temples of the forehead, the bottom of the chin area, and depending on how you feel, the sides of your nose. This balances out the colours of your face. Ensure to add blusher too to add a bit of colour to the cheeks. This makes your face look more natural and rosy.

Brow Power
Your brows help to shape your face. Your brows should start in line with the inner corner of your eye, the arch should raise in line with the outside of the iris nearest to the outer corner of your eye, and the tail of your brow should end in line with the outer corner of your eye. Make sure you have the right colour eyebrow pencil to avoid your eyebrows being too dark or too light. Fill in the centre of your brow and the tail: you only need a little bit of colour on the start of the brow because this is the lightest part of your eyebrow. Don't completely neglect your eyebrows because they can end up looking messy, in my opinion. Also, don't over-pluck them! If you pluck your brows too much they eventually won't grow back!! And avoid plucking a lot of hairs from the top of your brow, because this can end up making you look sad.

So there are a few make up tips I'd give to my 13 year old self. I'd basically tell myself to get my s**t together in a nutshell! Hope you enjoyed.
What tips would you give to your younger self?
Are some of these similar to what you used to do with your make up?

xo